Solar Panel Installation Process
Solar Panel Installation
MPU (Main Panel Upgrade)
- Prep or Upgrade Electric Main Panel: To connect the solar system wiring from the AC disconnect switches to the electric main panel, the panel needs to carry the additional electrical load and have the physical capability for additional breakers. To accomplish this, the existing panel may need reconfigurations or an upgrade.
- Install Breakers for Solar: For ease of disconnection and safety in case of overload condition or short circuits, the wiring from the AC disconnect switches is connected to the electric main panel via breakers. The electric main panel then distributes electricity to the home or to the electric utility grid.
- City Installation Inspection: At this point, the City or the Agency Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) inspects the installation from electrical, solar, roofing, and general construction viewpoints and approves the installation.
- Install Net Meter: Customers who go solar will now have two means of sourcing electricity: solar panels or the grid. Additionally, any solar-generated electricity which the homeowner does not consume (at time of generation) will go to the grid. Therefore, either LA Solar Group or the Utility carries out the Net Meter installation, letting the Utility know of the “net” amount of electricity they provide.
Interconnection Paperwork Submission
- Utility Inspection and PTO: As the final step in the installation process, the Utility company inspects the installation from solar, electrical, and grid connectivity viewpoints and provides their “Permission to Operate” – “PTO .” After the granted PTO, the homeowners finally turn the system ON.
We hope this solar panel installation guide will give an in-depth understanding of how long it takes to have your solar system designed from designing and engineering to installing solar panels and submitting paperwork.